21 January 2010

Of Sluggishness


I despise running sluggishly when I know I could’ve strode bigger and paced faster. I notice that I tend to be sluggish while running when I resume running after days of not running. On another occasion sluggishness is experienced when I run back-to-back or for few days in a row.

Sluggishness makes me feel heavy on the lower body especially the limbs – the thighs and the shins. My limbs would feel weighty and the effort to plod felt laborious. I have to summon extra energy to run the normal pace that I normally do which always end up myself running slower. Running sluggishly is not enjoyable. Even the most upbeat, catchy, remixed song I play on my MP3 player cannot beat the sluggish feeling. It is frustrating because I am very much looking forward to having an effortless and enjoyable run in every session of running. Running is supposed to be therapeutic and fun and it shouldn’t be of a struggle doing it.

Yesterday’s evening run was an example of a sluggish run. The sluggishness may have caused by a run that I did a day before with AdiNation Runner Putrajaya. But I plodded to the last 10th laps of Taman Putra Perdana jogging track route nevertheless. People say resting may help to prevent the sluggish feeling as rest is also a part of training. Resting gives time to joints to rest from overstraining and for muscles to develop or to flex to its new shape. And after a sufficient rest the joints and the muscles would be able to function to its new capability. But if I rest and resume running the next day, I would feel sluggish anyway.. so how la?

Btw, I plan to run again this evening.. hopefully I am gonna have an enjoyable run..

p/s: I suspect that I can get rid of this sluggish feeling only if I get rid of the spare tyres first.. :)

7 comments:

  1. Sluggishness is totally a mind game. Hate it when it hits me. p/s - somehow, my munchkin Ariana can make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me know when is your next run. help me! mmg malas betul nak lari nih! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha maybe you just need not to run alone lah. Have a companion runner should help take the blues away. Anyway, I've been sluggish too after last Sunday. Hated the lousy rain and crappy late afternoon weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. join us for this Saturday's LSD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ian - kann..sluggishness is just mind over matter.. btw, who's ariana? ur wifey/daughter izit?

    che - alaaa.. i went for a run with bro zul yesterday evening. Didnt he text you ajak lari sama? i am still undecided whether or not to join tomorrow night's LSD. I promised my friends to run in Lake Garden on saturday morning. Tgk lah camana.. if i jadi join the LSD ill give u a call..

    yim - weather in putrajaya has been nice since monday. It did rain around 3-4pm but stopped around 5pm.. perfecto! u joining LSD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. crusher, yeah likely would join the LSD. Need to get used to night running, as well as the heat and humidity. Since you are elite, you run both saturday morning and night lah. Then you wont feel lazy anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yim - haha! i am not even an amateur runner pun.. how come can be elite runner one? heheh.. god willing, will join u guys if i dont do the morning run..

    ReplyDelete