17 January 2010

Of NB20 KM Race Eve Anxiety and Report - Regular Training Pays!

It normally occurs to me to experience race eve anxiety the night before the actual race takes place. While my mind normally would get too preoccupied with what is gonna happen during the race day, my body would feel twitchy and becomes restless. Anxiousness and excitement normally overwhelm me that it is very difficult for me to catch sleep.. In effort to catch sleep I would toss my body to the right and the left side of the bed countlessly.. And even if I manage to fall into slumber, it would be interrupted many times that I will always check the time for the fear that I might oversleep passing the time that I have set to wake up. For this NB30km race, it was no different from other races, actually it got worse. I didn’t get any sleep at all!

I just couldn’t contain the excitement anymore and left Putrajaya for Padang Merbuk at 5am. I drove to Bukit Aman and reached its parking area around 5.30am. Met a fellow runner there and later performed Subuh prayer at Masjid Bukit Aman. We later rushed Padang Merbok as there were 5 minutes left before the 20km category participants were about to let off. Sharp 6.30 the race started and at that very time I could feel the sleepiness creeping in.

I started off well and managed to keep pace with much faster runners. The only problem that I struggled with was not lethargy or fatigue but it was the sleepiness that I really hoped to dissipate quickly. I felt like a zombie while running except that I was not in slow moving mode like a real zombie would be. After approximately 5 km of psyching my mind up against the heavy eyelids, the sleepy feeling was gone and I felt I was at the top of my game.

It was during this run that I found myself loving the hills. I kinda know how to tackle hills this time around. Thanks to Adination Runners running sessions where I had the chance to observe one of the seasoned runner tackling hilly route effortlessly. And I kinda loving this new discovery more as I managed to overtook many runners when plodding uphill. Throughout the run I tried maintaining my pace, speed and strive and after 1 hour and 43 minutes-ish I crossed the finishing line.

After 2 half marathons outings (PBIM and SCSM), I kinda inspired to renew my personal best, they were 2hours6mins-ish.. I have always targeted to do a sub 2 hours time for the next half marathon. Judging from this race’s time where the race distance are 2 km short of a half marathon’s, I estimate that if the distance is to be extended to another 2 kilometres ,and if I maintained the pace and the speed, I would have recorded my PB just below 2 hours!

This only proves that regular training really pays.. All my evening and weekend runs that I toil finally bear its fruits and really worth it!
So now I am anxious and eagerly counting days for next half marathon that is 3 weeks away from now – PUTRAJAYA NIGHT MARATHON on 10th February 2009. I seriously hope that I get enough sleep in the process.. :)
* actual distance is 19.36km
* i found the finisher medal hideous. Dont u guys find the same?

16 comments:

  1. congrats bro...and the timing?...blistering

    me doing putrajaya half too. let's run togeder geder

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree on the medal. and very good timing! keep it up

    anyway, probably tumpang pirate the putrajaya. insyaAllah see you there

    ReplyDelete
  3. TQ bro! hows ur 30km run?
    ok, look forward to pacing with u masa PNM nanti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. errm i still dont get why the medal is hideous? perhaps i dont collect that many yet to be experienced in judging the beauty of it hehe.

    blistering fast, well done! guess you'd be my pacer the next time huh? :)

    anyway, the anxiety the night before is normal, I face it too, dunno why lah. hard to just relax and get a good rest. slept at 11.30pm, woke up at 1am looking at the watch, doze off again, up at 3 ... sigh. guess it's just normal lah. wait till you've run your 1,000th race, then i guess you'd be used to it by then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kena sayur aku.. hehe.. congrats bro. all the best for Putrajaya. Its night running, im sure u dont have trouble sleeping la. u still awake at time time (normally). See u tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. perghhh...berasap2. Congrats bro! Pretty sure the Putrajaya 1/2 akan lebih berasap..:-)

    P/s- My gps showed 20.05km for the run yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. syah- see u in putrajaya or maybe in one of ur LSD? kalau bleh join laa:)
    yim- i love SCSM's medal the most.. its classy and looks exquisite
    che- yup! see u tuesday!
    ziff-ye ke? tapi dalam hand out yang ada route from mapmyrun website tu, the distance is stated as 19.36km..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lemme balik tgk my SCSM medal, cam biasa je hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crushhio

    Yup, i also noticed the distance stated in the handout but i think it is also common to have different GPS results plus minus. On a good faith basis i take it that we have done 20k yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ziff, haha its only 19.22 according to my 405 :) but I'll settle for 20 lah

    crushhio, I had a look at my SCSM finisher medal and I think I can understand why. The shade (sort of matt black) is also kinda silky smooth to see and touch. And yes, it is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ziff- irregardless of the actual distance, we all did a great job completing it.. :)

    yim- told you! :)

    btw, hv u guys registered for Energizer Race? i dah register..dont procrastinate.. or else the quota would be filled in by other runners in no time..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lom lg ler ... still thinking and thinking ... adoi. i'll decide tomorrow lah which i'm competing in. think i might just go safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. bro ziff - pejam mata je lah.. we did what we did :P kan Syed? + lari2 dari Parking bukit aman? cukup lah 20k :P

    energizer - still thinking.. mcm putrajaya.. thinking.. thinking, dah tutup :P < padan muka

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha..yup guys...irregardless of the actual distance. Organizer dah set 20k category, kita follow ajer ler :-)

    Che...pulun ajer energizer tu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. swoosh .... you are one fast runner! Extremely good job, considering that this is only your 3rd half.

    ReplyDelete
  16. TQ,Ian. i hope i can improve if not maintain good speed, pace and most important of all stamina.

    ReplyDelete